Welcome to the City of Manning, SC web site. It is our hope this web site will provide useful information to both the residents of Manning, SC and those planning to visit or relocate to Manning, SC.
As you browse this web site, you will be provided with information about Manning's history, current and annual events, newsletters and minutes of various meetings. Various forms, available for downloading, and contact numbers are also provided. Frequent updates will be made to this site so make sure you stop in often.
The City of Manning is centrally located in Clarendon County, just off of Interstate 95 at exits 115 or 119 and 122. Manning is home to more than 4,000 of South Carolina's friendliest people. Manning's close proximity to Lake Marion makes it one of the state's favorite recreational areas for all types of water activities. Lake Marion is famous for it's landlocked striped bass and Manning is home for the annual Striped Bass Festival.
Scarecrows on Main
Help us scare up some fun fall decorations and scarecrows in downtown Manning. We are inviting all individuals, families, clubs, church groups, civic organizations, and businesses to have some fun and get in the fall spirit by creating a scarecrow or fall decoration.
All decorations and scarecrows will be displayed on lamp posts in downtown throughout the month of October. All you need are the materials and creativity!
1. This is a family-friendly event. Scarecrows and decorations can be humorous, lovable, whimsical, but not frightening or distasteful. Main Street Manning and the City of Manning has the right to reject any and all scarecrows deemed offensive or inappropriate.
2. Decoration entries must be fall-themed.
3. Scarecrows and decorations will be mounted to lamp posts on Boyce, Brooks, Keitt, and Mill Streets and assigned at registration. Downtown merchants will be allowed the opportunity to use a nearby lamppost, on a first come first serve basis all other organizations will be assigned
4. Installations will take place beginning Sunday, September 20, and must be completed by Saturday, September 26.
5. Scarecrows and decorations must be durable and able to stand up to sun, wind, and rain. Use care in choosing your materials. Clothing materials must be firmly attached to the scarecrow.
6. Scarecrows must be secured by zip ties or string. NO metal or wire allowed on any downtown fixture. All parts of the scarecrow should be securely fastened.
7. If you choose to use fresh vegetables or fruits (like pumpkins) they must be whole and not punctured or carved, to ensure they last through the duration of the contest.
8. Scarecrows and decorations must be maintained by the individual/club/organization/business displaying them.
9. All entries must have a weatherproof sign to identify the entry: Group/business name. Your sign should be no larger than 11 x 17 inches. No political statements allowed.
10. All entry pictures will be posted on the Main Street Manning Facebook page beginning October 1.
11. Voting: People can vote at Main Street Manning SC Facebook page.
12. All entries will be on display until Saturday, October 31, and must be removed by Sunday, November 7.
13. Entries not removed by Monday, November 8, will be taken down by the City of Manning and disposed of.
14. We recommend that you check on your scarecrow periodically to make sure it remains in presentable condition.
15. The City of Manning reserves the right to remove any entry for not meeting the criteria of being a scarecrow or decoration.
Best of Main Street Manning
Main Street Manning needs your help to determine the winners of our annual awards. The categories are Most Hospitable Business, Best Window Display, and Best Building Renovation. Any business within the City Limits is eligible for the best of Main Street Awards.
Deadline is September 15, 2020.
Manning City Council voted that a face covering must be worn by all customers and visitors while inside the enclosed area of any retail business, restaurant, or city-owned property.
This ordinance has been extended until November 2020.
City of Manning-Covid 19 Face Covering Ordinance 2020-05-Executed.pdf
Popular 1.97 MB
MANNING, SC POLICE DEPARTMENT LAUNCHES “I PROMISE” INITIATIVE
In light of the difficulties our state and nation are currently facing after the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis, the Manning, SC Police Department is launching the “I Promise” Initiative – a four-part pledge that officers are taking as a department to show their commitment to protect and serve all citizens with dignity, respect, and fairness.
The initiative was created by Jeff Black, a former Manning resident, and Julia A. Nelson, the current Mayor of Manning. Black and Nelson grew up together, starting out at Manning Primary School in 1970. Fifty years later, their friendship remains strong and both want to demonstrate that small steps like this one can add up to big change.
Under the leadership of Keith Grice, Manning Police Chief, officers will take the “I Promise” pledge at the Billie S. Fleming Protective Services Complex (Manning Police and Fire Departments), 42 West Boyce Street, this Thursday, June 4 at 1:00 pm. The media is invited to this brief ceremony entitled, “Promise & Prayer,” including two local pastors who will pray for our community, state, and nation. Social distancing will be practiced.
A website is in development - promise4peace.org - so that law enforcement agencies around the state and nation can access the “I Promise” logo and pledge, in hopes that others will host their own renewal ceremony during this pivotal time in our nation’s history.
Welcome to the official website for the City of Manning. This website is designed to provide you with a wealth of information about our city and the services that we provide. I am honored and proud to serve as the mayor of our great city. The City of Manning is governed under the council form of government. The mayor is elected at large and our six council members represent a single district. Our city administrator works directly for city council and administers the day to day responsibilities of the city. I hope you find this website useful and please feel free to contact us whenever necessary.