Scarecrows on Main
Help us scare up some fun fall decorations and scarecrows in downtown Manning. We are inviting all individuals, families, clubs, church groups, civic organizations, and businesses to have some fun and get in the fall spirit by creating a scarecrow or fall decoration.
All decorations and scarecrows will be displayed on lamp posts in downtown throughout the month of October. All you need are the materials and creativity!
1. This is a family-friendly event. Scarecrows and decorations can be humorous, lovable, whimsical, but not frightening or distasteful. Main Street Manning and the City of Manning has the right to reject any and all scarecrows deemed offensive or inappropriate.
2. Decoration entries must be fall-themed.
3. Scarecrows and decorations will be mounted to lamp posts on Boyce, Brooks, Keitt, and Mill Streets and assigned at registration. Downtown merchants will be allowed the opportunity to use a nearby lamppost, on a first come first serve basis all other organizations will be assigned
4. Installations will take place beginning Sunday, September 20, and must be completed by Saturday, September 26.
5. Scarecrows and decorations must be durable and able to stand up to sun, wind, and rain. Use care in choosing your materials. Clothing materials must be firmly attached to the scarecrow.
6. Scarecrows must be secured by zip ties or string. NO metal or wire allowed on any downtown fixture. All parts of the scarecrow should be securely fastened.
7. If you choose to use fresh vegetables or fruits (like pumpkins) they must be whole and not punctured or carved, to ensure they last through the duration of the contest.
8. Scarecrows and decorations must be maintained by the individual/club/organization/business displaying them.
9. All entries must have a weatherproof sign to identify the entry: Group/business name. Your sign should be no larger than 11 x 17 inches. No political statements allowed.
10. All entry pictures will be posted on the Main Street Manning Facebook page beginning October 1.
11. Voting: People can vote at Main Street Manning SC Facebook page.
12. All entries will be on display until Saturday, October 31, and must be removed by Sunday, November 7.
13. Entries not removed by Monday, November 8, will be taken down by the City of Manning and disposed of.
14. We recommend that you check on your scarecrow periodically to make sure it remains in presentable condition.
15. The City of Manning reserves the right to remove any entry for not meeting the criteria of being a scarecrow or decoration.